Did You Know? – Our Great CrossFit Trivia
Any sport that is considered to be the “Fittest Sport on Earth” is definitely not something to be taken lightly. CrossFit has started a renaissance in functional fitness training and the fact that it is one of the fastest growing sports in the world, speaks volumes about the effectiveness of CrossFit workouts.
For those of you who are CrossFit crazy or are just intrigued by the sport, here is some entertaining and enlightening CrossFit trivia…
1. Danie Du Preez opened the first certified CrossFit box in South Africa (CrossFit Bodies 4 Christ).
2. CrossFit was created by Greg Glasman after he identified the best training results were experienced by those who performed explosive movements. Last year, he bought out his ex-wife Lauren Glasman to secure sole control of the CrossFit brand.
3. A common belief on CrossFit forums is that the Kalsu is the hardest WOD. It entails performing 100 thrusters (with 61kgs, for time) and every minute on the minute you have to complete five burpees!
4. The first CrossFit Games was held in California in 2007 and had 70 entrants.
5. The prize money for the CrossFit Games in 2007 was $500. Today that figure has been bumped up to a whopping $250 000.
6. Last year, there were 3 400 CrossFit affiliates in the world. That number has significantly increased as today there are more than 5 000 affiliates.
7. Last year, over 69 000 CrossFitters entered the CrossFit Opens — shockingly that was 43 000 more entrants than in 2011. This year it (unofficially) sees over 140 000.
8. In 2011, for the first time, Regional competitors from around the world participated in the same events.
9. Jessica Biel, Jason Statham, Kelly Clarkson, Brad Pitt, Vanessa Hudgens and Cameron Diaz are amongst the many celebrities who reap the benefits of training in CrossFit.
10. In order to beef up for the movie Invictus, Matt Damon specifically undertook CrossFit training.
11. inov-8 shoes have become a highly favoured shoe for CrossFit athletes in South Africa as well as internationally as a result of it durability, lightweight nature and ability to promote stability.
12. Hero WODs refer to benchmark workouts that are named after fallen military servicemen, policemen and firefighters.
13. 2012 CrossFit Games Regionals (South Africa) winner, Dave Levey is a national champion in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
14. Training in CrossFit sends nerve impulse zipping through and from the brain at a lightening fast speed of 274km/h.
15. CrossFit training has been implemented by numerous, fire departments, law enforcement agencies and military organizations around the world.
16. CrossFit has is a natural way of combatting depression.
17. Rich Froning won the CrossFit Games in 2011 and 2012, making him the only man to win the CrossFit games twice.
18. Annie Thorisdottir was the first women to win two consecutive CrossFit Games (in 2011 and 2012). Her surname means Thor’s daughter. Given her CrossFit accomplishments, she very well could be.
We hope you that you enjoyed this CrossFit trivia. The advantages of this sport are incredible and there has been an overwhelming response to it as a result – in fact check out our article on What is the Big Deal with CrossFit.
What CrossFit fact from this list surprised you the most? Do you have any interesting CrossFit facts that you would like to share?